Tuesday, October 20, 2009



My studio is in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Footscray- an inner Melbourne suburb where more then 100 languages are spoken. It's an ever changing area first settled by Greeks , Italians and Macedonians who ran the local market , then in the 80's came the Vietnamese which exciting restaurants and Asian food stores and now the new arrivals are from Central and North Africa so new and delicoiusfoods, cafes and shops are opening. I don't know where else you can buy- Mangoes for a dollar a kilo and green unroasted coffee which you can take home to fry and brew. Yum. It is all about the smell of the place. My studio is in the Trocadero art space and downstairs is an Indian shop so the incense wofts up through my window, followed by delicious BBQ pork enticing me to go and have lunch ( You might as well get used to the food referrances- I am a foodie and once was even crazy enough to have myown restaurant ).......

So I've had this lovely space all to myself since april so it took six months to finish my book. But they were only really half days as I spent the mornings with my daughter . So 4 - 5 hours a day was not really enough but it's more then enough when you haven't had it for so long.

Ah, a creative space....it's an essential part of my psyche but very hard to achieve in this busy life. I have to say that once I had it I just powered through the ideas. I didn't have the luxury of writer's block as my only problem is lack of time . Having stolen this time somehow I knew I had to use it wisely...or at least efficiently......as this space has for so long lived inside my head while the ideas exploaded in my little brain.

I am the sort of person who says: ...wouldn't it be great if....."and my friend's eyes widen and they nod politely and sign to themselves...oh, poor Dagmara ...another one of her silly day dreams...

But the only reason they were day dreams is because you need time and space to execute them.

So finaly i got mine for a little while

No comments:

Post a Comment